Many of our best bush memories are of taking our own family to safari Camps and enjoying their sense of wonder and discovery as we experience the bush anew through their young eyes and ears. The African bush is the most amazing natural classroom where children of all ages learn almost without realizing they are learning, soaking up new information as the bush unfolds around them.
Hosting families in the bush is also an amazing experience, especially where different generations of the same family are travelling together. In our busy modern lives, we can lose touch with the people who matter most to us and an African safari holiday, where the stresses and strains of daily life are left far behind, is the perfect way to unwind, reconnect and spend true quality time together. Family safaris & holidays in Africa are amazing!
There are many ”family friendly” camps, lodges and hotels in Africa, that have special amenities such as activity bags, special kids menus, baby-sitting options, along with a variety of child friendly activities on offer. Reduced rates are often applicable, and many have family rooms available. There are great family itineraries available in South Africa (many are in malaria-free areas), Botswana, Namibia and Zimbabwe.
Our time in the Okavango Delta was amazing, and such an incredible experience for us and our two boys – what a classroom! We saw everything that we could have dreamed of. We saw lions, one that rubbed up against our vehicle (incredible and terrifying at the same time!), giraffe, cheetah, a leopard that had just finished eating his kill, and was still hanging in the tree with the carcass , and elephants right on our doorstep (literally!). The mokoro trip was beautiful and tranquil. The staff were happy and helpful, and wonderful to our kids, and tried to cater to their food choices. They never went hungry that's for sure. We all loved every minute and would highly recommend to anyone to visit that beautiful part of the world. It is life changing! Tammy and Alex arranged a trip we shall never forget. Their knowledge and professionalism is what helped make this trip such a success. Thank you!!From Cathrine, South Australia
Suggested Family Itineraries
9 days South Africa Family Fun
- 3 nights Camps Bay Resort, 2 bedroom apartment, Cape Town
- 2 nights Belvidere Manor Knysna on the Garden Route
- 3 nights Tuningi Safari Lodge, family suite, Madikwe Game Reserve
- Includes private transfers from George to Knysna, and then to Port Elizabeth, and private transfers from Johannesburg to Madikwe and return, all meals and local drinks in Madikwe, park fees. Excludes flight PE/Johannesburg,
Price from: A$2990.00 per adult, A$2025.00 per child
11 days Kalahari, Okavango Delta and Victoria Falls
- 3 nights Kalahari Plains camp, family tent, Central Kalahari Game Reserve
- 2 nights Xigera camp, family tent, Okavango Delta
- 3 nights Seba camp, family tent, Okavango Delta
- 2 nights Victoria Falls Safari Lodge, interconnecting rooms, Victoria Falls
- Includes all internal flight transfers in Botswana (ex Maun, to Kasane), and road transfer Kasane to Victoria Falls, kids Bush Buddy bag with bush goodies for the kids, all meals and local drinks in Botswana. Excludes private vehicle for children 6-12 years.
Price from: US$6920 per adult, US$3410.00 per child